Sunday, October 3, 2010

Meat for Meat-Haters

I'm not a big fan of meat. I don't think I'd be disappointed if I never ate it again, but I KNOW I wouldn't be disappointed if I never had to touch it raw again. This is one reason I am such a fan of the frozen individual portions-bags at Costco (see my "Fish Tacos" post.) Another of my favorites are the fully-cooked smoked sausages (for example, Hillshire Farms.) They are easy to work with and can be added to lots of different styles of recipes. Be sure not to add salt if you're cooking with these, because they are already loaded (as no doubt will our arteries be as well.) For all you meat-lovers though, I'm sure this recipe would be even better with your favorite sausage.

Sunshine Sausage Pasta
Serves 6 as main or 12 as side

1 tbsp olive oil
½ white onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound bowtie pasta
1 can yellow corn (or fresh if available)
1 15-oz turkey polska kielbasa or other mild sausage, sliced ¼-inch thick and quartered or julienned
1 tbsp stone-ground or Dijon mustard
1/3 cup chopped parsely
Black pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in wok. Add onion and cook until tender and starting to brown.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions then drain.

When onion has cooked, add garlic and corn and sausage, continue to saute until sausage renders some fat.

Stir in pasta and mustard.

Mix well and toss with parsley. Season with pepper. Serve hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment