Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Scrumptious Scones

Scones are not on my hit parade. They have never really appealed to me, often being far to dry and crumbly, or sticky and clumpy (you know that pasty glob trapped in your gullet?) for me to find enjoyment in them. But Will loves them, and I had some buttermilk, so I gave these a try. I have tried recipes from Joy of Cooking, and Nick Malgieri's How to Bake, but they still left me cold. This time, I tried the "Bed and Breakfast Scones" (with some of my own modifications) from the Junior League of Seattle's Simply Classic which is much loved for it's Northwest flair, manageable size, and charming illustrations.


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, well chilled
1/2 cup dried cherries, soaked in liqueur until plumped (I used chamboard, because it's what I had, but kirsch would be better, or use brandy or cassis)
1 large egg, plus buttermilk to equal 3/4 cup

Preheat oven to 425.
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together until well-blended. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (you can also use a food processor, but go slowly to not over-mix or the dough can get tough.)
Drain cherries, and mix in, distributing evenly.
Mix egg and buttermilk. Pour into flour mixture and blend, but do not overmix.
Place dough in center of a buttered baking sheet, patting into a circle about 1-inch thick and mounded slightly. Score into wedges.
Bake about 20 minutes, until edges are golden.
Cut along score and allow to cool slightly, then serve warm with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment