Friday, March 18, 2011

Circa 1970 Vegetables (ie: Harvest Gold and Avocado)

This was a fun combination to make broccoli taste a little different. I'm posting it not because it's such an amazing recipe, but because it is a reflection of creativity and experimentation with food. I recommend this, and will make it again, but even if it sounds unappealing, it might still create an inspiration for how to think of food pairings in new and unique ways to keep you interested in preparation and excited to eat them.

Will is a frustrating "taster" from the standpoint that if I need enthusiasm and encouragement, I might not always get it. But he is an excellent taster because I can always count on his first reaction to be his honest opinion! So, in the spirit that his comments will be as enlightening for you as they are for me (albeit not always flattering!), I'll share what he said about this dish:
- When he first saw it come out of the oven, before I served it, he said, "Oh! Hot salad!"
- After he ate a few bites, had some of the main course, and went back for some more, he said, "Yeah, this works. It's a good way to 'get it all down.'"

So there you have it. Granted, I probably wouldn't serve this to company, and the photo might really be more of a turn-off than a selling point. In fact, I didn't have a name for this post until I added in the photo as my last step, and became instantly inspired.  Scroll down to the image to see what I mean, but be sure and stop to read the recipe on the way! I suspect you'll be glad you did (or at least as glad as those interior designers were when they rolled out green shag carpeting and orange formica across residences far and wide...)


1 small head broccoli (about 1/2 pound), cut into florets
1 medium carrot, sliced on the bias into 1/2" thick slices
1 seedless orange, peeled, sectioned, and sections cut in 2 or 3 pieces each
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
salt and pepper to taste
1 scant tablespoon pine nuts

Preheat oven to 400.
Toss vegetables and orange pieces together in 8" casserole dish. Whisk together oil, ginger, salt and pepper, and toss with vegetables until well-coated, adding extra oil if necessary.
Roast for about 20 minutes, until broccoli starts to get crisp and dark on the tips. Sprinkle pine nuts over, and roast an additional 5 minutes until nuts are toasty. Serve hot.




No comments:

Post a Comment