Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Banana Bacon Dutch Baby

We have all stared deep into the dark brown spots on the skin of a decaying banana and asked "aren't you good for anything besides banana bread?" Will loves banana bread and at times will deliberately avoid eating his daily tubefruit so that I will feel compelled to convert it to a buttery, toasty snack. Such was the case this time, when he transferred two aging phalli from the counter-top to the fridge. It's actually been quite a while since I baked banana bread, but somehow I was just not in the mood, so there they sat becoming darker and softer.

By Saturday night, we were frying up bacon with some friends to top our homemade pizza, and the residual fat in the pan seemed worthy of a second frying. I didn't know how or what, so I just shoved the whole skillet into the fridge overnight. The next morning, I felt inspired. Sunday is "pancake day" - generally from mix, but at times made from scratch. Less frequently, I will try something more glamourous like a puff pancake, and that is what I decided to do with the bananas.

I added a little pat of butter to the bacon fat already in the pan (total 2 T fat), heated to melting and sliced the two otherwise rather nasty bananas in a single layer over the hot fat. Pour over the blended batter and bake.


Preheat oven to 375. Preheat 10" cast-iron skillet.

Ingredients
serves 2

2 eggs
2.38 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Blend with blender or food processor.
Pour batter over sliced bananas in 10" cast-iron skillet and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Slice and serve immediately, dusted with powdered sugar or drizzled with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment