Friday, February 3, 2012

Braised Brussels

I don't have a photo of these, because I had no idea how good they would be. I thought I was just making two servings, but I ended up with some leftovers which I ate cold straight from the fridge and they were also delicious! Even Will said he really liked the preparation, and he's not usually a huge fan of sprouts. But not only was this good, it was quick and very forgiving on the timing in that it can stay pretty good over low heat while you finish up the rest of your meal, or make it ahead and reheat it before serving.

I literally tossed things together and it worked just fine, but I've tried to estimate quantities below. It might just be better if you eyeball things as you go, and you can scale it up without any math.

for two servings
10 Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon light oil (olive or grapeseed) maybe more
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
1 clove garlic, minced (I used my Garlic Zoom tool because I wanted it nice and fine)
1/2 cup chicken stock
freshly grated pepper

Trim off the ends of the sprouts if needed, then slice vertically as thinly as you can. It's okay if some leaves fall off whole, you can either leave them as individual leaves, or slice them a bit too. You will end up with mostly shreds, but some whole cross-sections. It's all fine, you just want evenly thick pieces so they cook evenly.

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat with the coriander seeds until it is shimmering. Add the brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Add more oil if they are not evenly coated. I added oil twice more during cooking mine. Stir periodically until leaves start to turn golden, about 3 minutes, then stir in garlic. Toss continuously so garlic doesn't burn, about another 2 minutes. Pour stock in and raise heat to high until liquid starts to boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered until liquid is mostly evaporated. Season with pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment