Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Banana-Basil Salsa

It isn't an entirely original idea to use bananas in savory recipes, as I discovered in subsequent searching, but as I didn't think to search until after I'd already made and consumed this, I'm going to take credit for my own creativity. I actually got the idea because when I planned my dinner menu, I was aiming for peach salsa. But when 6:30 rolled around and I went to start chopping the peaches which had been ripening in a paper bag for two days, they were completely moldy! The only other fruit we had in the house were two spotted bananas, so I decided to attempt a last-minute swap.
My basil plant is disappointingly bitter, but it made for a really nice foil to the sweetness of the banana. Because we had homemade pickled peppers in the fridge, I used those, but otherwise I would normally have used fresh. In that case, a touch more acid or spice to cut the sweetness could be in order - freshly grated ginger would be a good balance to the banana and basil.
I served this over grilled pork chops with a side of black quinoa with carrots and onions, and a dandelion greens and mushroom salad. It would also be delicious on chicken, shrimp, or white fish. We don't have a "no electronics at the dinner table policy" because when we like to be able to look up facts and figures and references to aid and enhance whatever we're already discussing. Our search for banana onion recipe yielded some pretty nauseating sounded results, and this was quite tasty, so give it a try and let me know what you think, or what other savory ways you find to use bananas!

Banana Basil Salsa
Serves 2
1 medium banana of your desired ripeness - mine was pretty ripe and you don't want it too soft or it will just be mush in your salsa, but I liked that it was pretty sweet
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonaded
squeeze of fresh lemon juice, about 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon frozen orange juice concentrate
hot pickled or fresh peppers to taste, diced (I used 1/2 a serrano)
dash of salt

No comments:

Post a Comment