Saturday, April 16, 2011

It could almost be Springtime...

Too look in the market, I would think it was Spring already! (Sadly, the 45-degree-rainy days are not concurring with my market assessment!) I have been lusting after the multi-color carrots for weeks now, and this time I finally cracked. Last summer I posted about purple carrots, and the bunch I bought had two of those, along with an orange, a white, a red, and a yellow. I trimmed the tops, leaving just a squirt of the stem on, and saved the greens to sprinkle on salads like parsley or dill, then simply halved lengthwise, and roasted the carrots in a bit of olive oil at 425 degrees.



Along with the carrots, I picked up a special purchase of fava beans, and tried them out in this main-course salad.


Dressing
2 T minced shallot
juice from one lemon
1 T walnut oil
2 T olive oil
1 t white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Salad
1 large celery rib, diced
1/2 large onion, diced
1 1/2 cups Israeli cous cous
3 cups stock
1/2 pound fava beans, shelled (about 1/2 cup total)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T pine nuts, toasted
1 large firm but ripe tomato
hearty handful fresh basil, chiffonaded

Mincing the frilly greens from the tops of the carrots makes for a beautiful garnish!
I sprinkled them on the roasted carrots.

Frances Mayes talks incessantly about the springtime delights of fava beans in Bella Tuscany so I was interested to try them. She simply sautes them with lemon, garlic, and olive oil. I'm not sure that would really do it for me; they were a nice addition to this salad, and a way to add some heft to an otherwise light main dish, but they weren't the star. This was pure, fresh, Printemps in a bowl, and didn't need any more jazzing up, but I will probably add some olives, capers, or maybe some feta cheese next time for a tang.

No comments:

Post a Comment